We are aware of our local college requirements for BYOD. We do not wish parents to spend a significant amount of money for our BYOD programme on a device that may not meet their college of choice requirements. Therefore for the trial we recommend a device already owned by the family/student that meets the following requirements:
In terms of Year 8, consider aligning the device to one they can use at their Y9 college (we suggest you check with the college): View Glendowie College Requirements.
● Battery Life – long enough to get through a school day without recharging
● Size – must be suitable for prolonged word processing (no smartphones or mini tablets)
● Weight – light enough for your child to carry easily
● Wireless Access – must have wireless access to the internet (3G and 4G devices must have the SIM card removed before coming to school)
● Speed – devices need to be modern and fast enough to avoid frustration
● Must be able to access G Suite (Google Suite) either via app or Chrome web browser (students must be logged into Chrome, with their G Suite account, for Hapara Teacher Dashboard security purposes)
● Laptops – must have up-to-date anti-virus software
● A full keyboard (not on screen) is preferable but not essential
● No gaming hardware such as PSPs (Playstation Portable).
If you do intend to purchase a device then we recommend a Chromebook as they are less expensive, work seamlessly with the Google environment, have cloud-based storage, automatically complete software updates without disruption, are lightweight and have less on-device distractions. We have a number of suppliers who may have discounts available.
PB Tech – all options
Cyclone – all options (please use username: glendowieschool and password: gsbyod)
Noel Leeming (we suggest you take your time to view the options. Click on the links to chromebook and laptop options).